Recognizing the vital importance of information in todayâ€™s knowledge-based society driven by information technology, and with the need to create proper institutional and legal framework for a sound and holistic development of the information and communication technology (ICT) sectors in the Kingdom, the Royal Government created the Ministry of Information and Communications in 2003 through bifurcation of the erstwhile Ministry of Communications with the aim to tap the potential of rapid change in the field of information and communications technology (ICT) and cater to the regulatory and policy needs of the information and communications in the country.
As a part of the restructuring exercises of the Royal Government, the Department of Information and Media was created within this new Ministry to implement the Royal Governmentâ€™s policies, plans and programmes relating to information and media sector. With the objective of the Government to ensure the right of the people to know and learn, information will be made available to all Bhutanese and to that end, the Department will strive to promote professional and healthy information and media industry in the country.
As a focal information and media agency of the Government (within MoIC) the Department of Information and Media will be responsible for content and strategy development for all forms of information and media, assessing impact of media on society, and media programme development and management.
In general terms, the Department will be responsible for implementation of the Royal Governmentâ€™s policies relating to the information and media sector and carrying out such activities and programmes as are necessary for attainment of the stated policy objectives.
- Vision:To harness Â the Â use of and media Â Towards Creating a Shared National Â Consciousness.
- Mission:To optimize the use of information and media as a tool to nurture a knowledge-based democratic society.
- Promote good governance and environment conservation, socioeconomic and cultural development to achieve Gross National Happiness.
- Build a responsible, vibrant and creative information and media sector that is responsive to peopleâ€™s needs.
- Promote efforts to reach the un-reached for a connected and knowledge-based society.
- Empower society on the effective use of media to make informed decisions.